Skip to main content

Yellow Cornbread

Finding a dairy friendly cornbread recipe was tricky, so I created my own.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the following dry ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt

Then add:
1 can cream corn (14 3/4 oz)
1/2 cup soy milk
4 eggs
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup water

Blend using a mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute. Pour into a greased 9" X 13" pan and bake in 400 degree preheated oven for about 30 minutes, checking around 25 minutes for browning and using a toothpick to determine when baked all through. I used a glass pan and it was done perfectly at 29 minutes. Enjoy hot and store leftovers in the fridge or freeze for future enjoyment using freezer bags.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pollo Asado

My husband has a new favorite meal, pollo asado. Luckily for me, I have a favorite store, Sprouts, that sells marinated chicken "pollo asado" style and it is very decently priced. I get enough for the 2 of us (about 1.5 lbs) for about $5 and it is worth it.

Sometimes I like making everything from scratch, and sometimes I don't. This is a great meal for one of those "don't" days.

Pollo Asado Tacos

Grilled Pollo Asado chicken, then sliced
Refried beans with garlic and chili powder
Cooked brown rice
Fresh lettuce and tomatoes

All on a moist warmed corn tortilla.

Serve with some chips and salsa.

Wassail - Warm Drink

Wassail is a hot, nutritious drink with an aroma and flavor that fills the house and soul. This is my very favorite Christmas-time drink.

For a group of 15-20 people, slowly heat on stove top or crock pot: 64 ounces apple juice 64 ounces orange juice (fresh squeezed is amazing) 3-4 cinnamon sticks (to taste) 1/2 tsp ground cloves
Heat over the stove until perfectly steamy. Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
This drink makes a great pair with Snickerdoodle cookies.

Honey Ginger Chex Mix

This is my new favorite chex mix recipe. It turned out delicious...just the perfect amount of sweet and still a bit healthy.


The recipe came from the back of the Honey Nut Chex cereal box and I made a few alterations to work with the ingredients that I had and wanted to include.

In a large microwaveable bowl mix together:
6 cups Honey Nut Chex
1 cup dried banana chips
1-2 cups almonds (I used sliced almonds)

In a small microwaveable bowl, combine and heat uncovered for 1-2 minutes or until boiling:
1/4 cup Butter or Margarine (I used Smart Balance Light)
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1 tsp Ginger

Pour Honey mixture over cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated. Microwave uncovered for 4 minutes, stirring and scraping the sides every minute.

Add:
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup cranberries or raisins

Microwave for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring every minute.
Spread out onto wax paper and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.
After mine cooled, I added dark chocolate c…