Skip to main content

Cookie Cake, and Yummy Frosting

I'm so happy with how this cookie cake turned out.


Here's how I did it.

I used this recipe for the cookie cake and I just made a few minor alterations. 

Cream together in a large bowl:
1/2 cup Smart Balance Light butter (no-dairy)
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Add and use electric mixer to get it really creamy:
2 eggs
2 tsps vanilla

Add:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

(I reserved some of the dough before adding chocolate for my husband, since he does not react well to it. I decided to make the ears for him. So I shaped some kitty ears with just plain dough.)
Fold in mini M&M's or chocolate chips.
Shape dough into a large circle on parchment paper on a baking sheet. (I forgot to use parchment paper and I regretted it later when it stuck to the pan.) Also, try to stay about an inch away from the edges (which I didn't do very well).

Before baking
Bake at 300 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until set and barely browned on the edges.

After baking
Cover with clear wrap and let it cool before making the frosting.

Once the cookie is cooled, if you want to frost it, give this
white fluffy frosting a try.

I got the recipe from HERE and I read a lot of the reviews to get more tips.


In a small saucepan, stir together:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp cream of tarter

Heat over medium/high heat for about 7 minutes, stirring often. The sugar should all be dissolved and the mixture should be bubbly.

In a medium mixing bowl, whip to soft peaks:
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used clear to keep the frosting really white)
1 tsp almond extract (yum!)

Gradually add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture while whipping constantly. I added it very very slowly and whipped for about 7 minutes.
I immediately frosted and decorated the cookie cake.


I ground up some chocolate cookies (off-brand OREOs) without the frosting (using my Ninja) and used the fine crumbs (placed a little at a time using my fingers) for the black features of Hello Kitty. I looked at a picture from Google images while I decorated. I used pink sprinkles to color her bow. I pressed all the crumbs and sprinkles down a little to secure them into the soft frosting. 

It tasted great too! The only thing I will do next time is less mini M&M's in the dough and a thinner layer of frosting to reduce the sweetness a tad. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Rolls and Cinnamon Rolls - Bread Machine Dough cycle

I always have assumed that the best white rolls have dairy ingredients, but I tried this recipe for Easter ( I made them into resurrection rolls with a marshmallow in the center) and they turned out delicious. My husband and I both agreed that they would make great cinnamon rolls, so I tried it today and was not disappointed.  My favorite part is that the dough is made in the bread machine. That way, the prep time/active time is cut down, which is a winner for my life. Here are my two new recipes for White Rolls and Cinnamon Rolls. White Dinner Rolls (bread machine – dough cycle) Place ingredients into bread machine pan: 1 cup water 2 Tbsp margarine 1 egg 3 ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour ¼ cup white sugar 1 tsp salt 3 tsp active dry yeast After dough is done (1.5 hours), pour out of the bread pan and onto clean surface. Divide into rolls and place into greased (coconut oil) pan. Brush tops of rolls with coconut oil (optional).  Let rise in a warm pl

Egg Rolls

It's always exciting trying new recipes and ideas. Making egg rolls for the first time nearly touched the artistic side of my brain as I enjoyed folding and creating a lovely masterpiece. They turned out tasting good, not the best egg rolls I've ever had, but perfect when accompanied with a sweet dipping sauce. They are very nutrition-filled, so their taste matches that.  I followed this  recipe with several alterations. I used an entire package of egg roll wrappers, which was about 20 egg rolls and the filling was just the perfect amount. In a large skillet, add and saute over MED heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring often: 1 Tbsp olive oil 2-3 cups grated carrots 2 cans (14 oz each) bean sprouts, drained 1 can or 1/2-1 cup water chestnuts (chopped) 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper 1/4 cup chopped green onions 2 garlic cloves, minced 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced (with juice) Add and heat through: 2 cups diced chicken*  In a small bowl, create sauce

Fanciest Ramen

I have always liked Ramen noodles for every reason except that they have basically NO nutrition. My husband looked concerned when he saw the following ingredients sitting on the counter before I started making dinner. 2 packages of chicken flavored ramen noodles 1 head of cabbage 1 large chicken breast My random concoction turned out great, and that's why it is our newest addition to my food blog. How to make the "Fanciest Ramen Noodles" Dice one large raw chicken breast into bite-size pieces and cook fully in a pan on the stove with olive oil and seasonings of your choice (garlic salt, Mrs. Dash, seasoned salt, etc.) Cook the ramen noodles in a medium-sized pot without seasoning packets. Drain the noodles once they are cooked and then add thinly sliced cabbage to the pot and place over lowest heat setting. Add 1-2 packets (depending on your salt preference) of ramen noodle seasonings and stir in about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir well so oil and seasonings are evenly dis