Skip to main content

Whole Grain Breaded Catfish - with a Gluten Free Option

I've breaded catfish before and we really enjoy it. I have always cut the fish up in bite-size pieces before breading it, but that tends to be quite time consuming, so this time I breaded the entire filet. The other change I made was using oat and wheat flours along with corn meal, lemon pepper and garlic salt to make the meal more nutritious. It was quick and delicious.


First, in a small bowl, mix about a 1/4 cup of each:
oat flour
wheat flour (or a gluten free flour)
corn meal

Sprinkle in about a tsp of lemon pepper and a dash of garlic salt.
Mix well.

Lightly beat 1-2 eggs in another bowl.
Dip raw fish filet into egg mixture. Set the egg-coated filet on a large plate. Spoon the breading over the filet and pat. Keep the spoon dry so it can be re-used for the breading.


Place breaded side down into a skillet with about 1 T heated olive oil (Med-High heat) and bread the other side. Flip in about 3-4 minutes and cook on lower temperature until cooked through (firm inside and browned on outside)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Rolls and Cinnamon Rolls - Bread Machine Dough cycle

I always have assumed that the best white rolls have dairy ingredients, but I tried this recipe for Easter ( I made them into resurrection rolls with a marshmallow in the center) and they turned out delicious. My husband and I both agreed that they would make great cinnamon rolls, so I tried it today and was not disappointed.  My favorite part is that the dough is made in the bread machine. That way, the prep time/active time is cut down, which is a winner for my life. Here are my two new recipes for White Rolls and Cinnamon Rolls. White Dinner Rolls (bread machine – dough cycle) Place ingredients into bread machine pan: 1 cup water 2 Tbsp margarine 1 egg 3 ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour ¼ cup white sugar 1 tsp salt 3 tsp active dry yeast After dough is done (1.5 hours), pour out of the bread pan and onto clean surface. Divide into rolls and place into greased (coconut oil) pan. Brush tops of rolls with coconut oil (optional).  Let rise in a warm pl

Egg Rolls

It's always exciting trying new recipes and ideas. Making egg rolls for the first time nearly touched the artistic side of my brain as I enjoyed folding and creating a lovely masterpiece. They turned out tasting good, not the best egg rolls I've ever had, but perfect when accompanied with a sweet dipping sauce. They are very nutrition-filled, so their taste matches that.  I followed this  recipe with several alterations. I used an entire package of egg roll wrappers, which was about 20 egg rolls and the filling was just the perfect amount. In a large skillet, add and saute over MED heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring often: 1 Tbsp olive oil 2-3 cups grated carrots 2 cans (14 oz each) bean sprouts, drained 1 can or 1/2-1 cup water chestnuts (chopped) 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper 1/4 cup chopped green onions 2 garlic cloves, minced 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced (with juice) Add and heat through: 2 cups diced chicken*  In a small bowl, create sauce

Fanciest Ramen

I have always liked Ramen noodles for every reason except that they have basically NO nutrition. My husband looked concerned when he saw the following ingredients sitting on the counter before I started making dinner. 2 packages of chicken flavored ramen noodles 1 head of cabbage 1 large chicken breast My random concoction turned out great, and that's why it is our newest addition to my food blog. How to make the "Fanciest Ramen Noodles" Dice one large raw chicken breast into bite-size pieces and cook fully in a pan on the stove with olive oil and seasonings of your choice (garlic salt, Mrs. Dash, seasoned salt, etc.) Cook the ramen noodles in a medium-sized pot without seasoning packets. Drain the noodles once they are cooked and then add thinly sliced cabbage to the pot and place over lowest heat setting. Add 1-2 packets (depending on your salt preference) of ramen noodle seasonings and stir in about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir well so oil and seasonings are evenly dis